Thread: Autocross...mandatory coolant drain. Help!

Autocross...mandatory coolant drain. Help!

I'm going to autocross my beat for the first time ever...only they want me to drain my coolant and change it with 100% water. Apparently the glycol if it gets on the track will cause all sorts of issues, so they make all auto-cross users run 100% water.

Is this ok to use on the beat? Can i drive it to and from the event without concerns of overheating?

Sounds stupid, but can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to dump coolant, and change with water? Do I have to bleed anything, or just drop'n'drain and refill from rad?

Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

coolant vs water

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    I'm going to autocross my beat for the first time ever...only they want me to drain my coolant and change it with 100% water. Apparently the glycol if it gets on the track will cause all sorts of issues, so they make all auto-cross users run 100% water.

Is this ok to use on the beat? Can i drive it to and from the event without concerns of overheating?

Sounds stupid, but can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to dump coolant, and change with water? Do I have to bleed anything, or just drop'n'drain and refill from rad?
    The answer to your first question is that it will be fine to drive it to the track and back on plain water. The glycol is mainly to prevent freezing and there are some anti-rust chems thrown in. Heat transfer might be a tad better with glycol but not enough to make it overheat unless there is some other problem. PS - I applaud that track rule - safety first!

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    The answer to your first question is that it will be fine to drive it to the track and back on plain water. The glycol is mainly to prevent freezing and there are some anti-rust chems thrown in. Heat transfer might be a tad better with glycol but not enough to make it overheat unless there is some other problem. PS - I applaud that track rule - safety first!
    Thanks.

Just curious what the safety concerns are regarding the glycol on the track?

makes it slippy, greasy film can be left even after evaporating.
    airports regularly sweep/clean runways to remove Glycol after prolonged use as a de-icer on the planes or runway