Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Modified Beat Owner

Quote Originally Posted by cliov6 View Post
    Do you leave the original air filter in the airbox? Or just use the hks filter and leave the airbox empty?
    defeats the object with having 2 filters.....

at least the oil vapours filling the ally manifold won't soak the filter

Yea I removed the old filter once I fitted the HKS thats how its ment to work

I have an oil catch that I will be fitting to stop the oil coming back in through the intake but waiting to fit it until I spray the rocker cover and new seals come in later next week

There is a big difference in sound with the new filter it sounds great

From what I remember the sound is similar to what you hear with a turbo whisle, that exhaust / filter combo was on the red beat, really sounds great. Try in in a tunnel, the echo is fantastic on full throttlel!!

I'll probably try to make my own when I have a chance to take the intake out.

John I know what you mean now, driving up past 8000rpm there is a real whistle off the intake.. Sounds good and only there when your are coming on high revs so doesnt get annoying.. Hope to get it up on a dyno run Thursday evening so will get some videos and should give a good idea of sound

Had it in for the NCT today failed on headlight out of focus and the High Idle CO emissions were just over the reading but this points at a leak in the exhaust so will reseal all the joints cause I think there is a slight blow in one of them.. Will be fully road legal then

Bob you could probably make one easy enough if you got any universal filter, I would reccommend going for a foam type one like the HKS if your looking for noise as I found they are the loudest in any cars Ive driven with different intakes

Finally retested the Beat yesterday so road worthy for another 12months and just paid entry for a trackday on February 20th..

Might do the timing belt before then just for piece of mind and a few more little jobs but should be pretty set for it anyway

When I had it my Beat had a muschroom filter fitted directly to the front of the airbox on a metal plate. Can't imagine it did much for airflow, but sounded great.

Well Ive been driving this for the last few weeks and going perfect appart from some annoying water leaks throught the roof seals that I will sort at a later date..

The trackday finally came around too I decided against doing the belt due to time, money and because I think Brian done it before (I hoped)..

Arrived up and a friend of mine had another very rare old Honda too.. A Motocompo fold up scooter, originally sold as an optional extra to fit in the boot of Japanese 1980s Honda Citys.. It almost makes the Beat look big

So after a quick check over of fluids, tire pressures etc I went out on track

I was very surprised with the car, it obviously lacked the pace of much of the bigger engined track/race cars out but the car as a 660cc performed very well.. Didnt get much front wheel lock under breaking despite what Ive read and seen on videos, it sounded immence, and had lots of grip and control on bends when dry

Fortunately it didnt stay dry

Old/Worn track track tires on the rear and a greasy track led to loads of drifting, was great fun out there sliding most of the track while trying to keep out of the way of faster traffic..

Even went for some top down skids when weather allowed

Dori Dori Beat

Heres a quick/rough video from a camera phone, it gives you an idea of the sound from the HKS intake
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj_KZkK3eOA

But all good things come to an end.. After a great day out our wild driving style was noticed and be were black flagged for excessive sliding..
    Thats a friends standard 1.6 MX5 that was a very close match for the Beat, it barely pulled from it on straights and I could out corner him so were very closely matched on track

Nothing really new on my silver Beat its going great could do with new tires maybe and a few little bits to tidy it more but cant fault it really

Work has started on the red Beat, I managed to track down a red rear bumper including mudflaps and the rear light so now its complete bodywise
    (I got them from Beardo on here he has two Beats listed on ebay for breaking)

I need to patch up the roof and exhaust next to make it useable/roadworthy and obviously will need a respray but getting everything else right first

How did you find the silver one on track in terms of the handling? what are your thoughts? to much bodyroll, harder suspension, rear arb?

Red one coming along well the Jspeed look tidy on that, good thing you mentioned beardo tbh messaged him about some doors for mine

I found it great but mine is on Mugen suspension so I'm sure there is less body roll than standard. Have it on slicks too and LSD box so I'm sure they all helped. I was very impressed with its handling and quiet predictive even when sliding.

I really think with a spray job the red beat will look great alright might even swap over all the nice extras off the version z.
    Did you message beardo on here or through eBay? I dealth with him by txt and email and he was very helpful.

I have a 1992 Beat 36k from new, in quite good condition.
    Previous owner of NSX from 2002 to 2014.
    Current owner of 2005 S2000 owned since 2008 - 92k miles,
    Also own a 1992 Porsche 928GT, owned since 2002
    I live Co Down N.Ireland.
    As a first port of call, I am interested in identifying & making contact with other HONDA Beat Owners in NI & ROI.
    Regards.

Slieve Croob.
    jboy

Hey there,
    There is quiet a few Beat owners in Ireland just hard to find them. I've two myself and know of 5 more Beats and their owners. I met a yellow one in the road last week too local to me

Thanks for replying.

My Beat is very low mileage, but unfortunately just recently refuses to rev out above 4500. This happened all of a sudden, while cruising on the open road. All the normal service items / plugs etc are all in good shape. i removed the cover off the ECU, and without poking or interferring, all the caps seem solid enough. Who is the technical guru in Ireland North or South for these gremlins, I live in Co Down

advice on who can help appreciated.

regards

Seamus

0044 (0) 7932 554260 mob

Slieve Croob
    jboy

Hi,

Dont know is the short answer...
    but....
    1) Is the engine light on ? and if so what code have you found from it ?
    2) If there is a ECU fault, I have heard of a guy in England who can repair them....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345