Thread: Hi from I Heart Honda!

Hi from I Heart Honda!

Hi friendly Beat owners!

I've just signed up as I am considering a Honda Beat! The Beat has always been of interest to me. Prices seem to be pretty stable at the moment at £3-4k?

Anyway, my name is Jamie Klein. I run a Honda parts business based here in the UK. We sell OEM and performance parts for all Honda models.
    It was actually a customer who pointed me in this direction. We've sold a few camshafts and distributors. I am guessing this is a problem part for the Beat?

I am pretty handy with engines but looking at the Beat engine position it doesn't look to easy to work with!

Welcome Beats are reasonably priced at the moment from 2k to 4k, for 4k I'd expect it be mint and low miles. If you are after one then Mikei is your man as he has about 5/6 for sale.

As for common issues dizzy is one if it's from the early cars H reg and some J reg ones, the dizzy drive gear on the camshaft does go but it's rare that it does only seen it happen to one member on here recently. Other issue is capacitors in the ecu going due to heat soak from the engine bay so if buying then make sure ecu light goes off when starting up.

Engine is ok to work on, just in the middle of fixing mine and once most stuff has been removed it's ok to get at most parts, plenty of after market parts from Japan huge following over there so new parts come out every few months from the many tuners over there. Can pretty much spec up a Beat to how you want with all that's available.

Hi Jamie. Welcome to the forum. Worth trying to have a look at one to help you make your mind up. It's not a car for shrinking violets. A good Beat will really get under your skin.

welcome are you working at a honda main dealer or an independant and where are you based

Hi Jamie, as Gavin says there are a few common issues but not many. Check that the ecu has been insulated from engine heat (or attend to it yourself) to help out. Mine's fuel pump relay developed a fault which showed up above a certain temp as the solder joints expanded and failed until they cooled and were OK. (Steve M here helped) A new relay from Honda solved it. Radiators deteriorate and Honda don't stock them but Newquay Radiators recored mine. Local places didn't seem to be able to cope with plastic and metal but they did and it's been fine for years. My Honda mechanic mate services mine and is always willing to attend it though it's very reliable. He does things like brake pads and disks etc. He replaced the relay part in a flash and said that he could easily strip the car, unlike new ones which are really different. He doesn't see the position of the engine a problem at all as I thought the same as you and I asked him, but he is happier using a ramp so it's the same access as others it seems. (He plugs his lap top into the others first) Get an agreed value when you insure it as a 20+ year old car will only realise a low 'book' price but you'd only find bits for one and not a whole one with the insurance money if you were hoping to replace it. I'm sure you are geared up for checking over cars you'd purchase but many here can help and advise too. I have 3 Hondas (and one is new) but my Beat is actually my favourite which kind of says it all...... You are welcome here! Cheers, John

PS the whole workshop manual is online here:
    http://www.beardon.org/honda_beat_files_7.html
    And there are 2 YouTube videos by Honda when it was new in Japan for customers to find out about it. They're like a handbook version showing many controls, hood etc.

Hi all!

Thanks for the welcome.

@mikei - I replied to your PM. Thanks!

I am an independent. Website address: www.ihearthonda.co.uk

I've spent quite a bit of time on SEO and getting up the google rankings and are now seeing a steady flow of business. Mostly EP3, DC5 and FN2 customers.
    I'd love to be able to support rarer models such as the Beat..

Thanks for the all the advise so far. I'll wait for Mikei to send me a link to some of his cars

I found a few on Goo Net..

This one is stunning. Just 14,000km..
    http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/used...003/index.html

A bit out of my price range..

This one looks ideal but it says it has been repaired
    http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/used...001/index.html
    www.ihearthonda.co.uk - for all your Honda needs! Mugen, Spoon, J's Racing, Fujitsubo and more!