Thread: Has anyone done the whole importation thing themselves?

Has anyone done the whole importation thing themselves?

So it looks like I'm going to be the proud owner of a Version F sometime in the next couple weeks. This leaves me with the problem of what to do with the old car. I know I said I was going to part out, and many of you said that the rust wasn't too bad, and that it would be a shame to scrap the chassis. So here's an idea: maybe one of you guys would like to buy it. I just have no idea how to go about selling a car to someone overseas.

This also solves another problem of mine, in that the new car comes with a bunch of stuff that I had been planning on installing onto this one. This includes a set of skirts that appear to never have been mounted before (minty fresh Carnival Yellow paint), and probably other stuff. I'm going to take a huge loss on this either way, so I figure I could give this one a stay of execution if one of you guys wanted this one.

Granted, it does come with its own share of issues, but I don't think I'll be asking for a lot.

Anyways, if someone has done this before and can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Depends how much you want Aaron?

From what I know by time you've de-registered the car and done everything else needed and got it on the boat it's around £1000 to the UK, then once it lands you will have import duty/vat to pay on the value of the car itself.

I'll need to look at your old posts to see what the car is like as been a while since I've looked on here properly

I've imported my own car many years ago, cost about £400 all in (13 years ago) which was:
    De-reg in Japan (drove it to the port on trade plates, Kanda Port if I remember correctly)
    Export prep and bill of lading
    Shipping cost ($365 if I remember correctly), went via ro-ro.
    Southampton handling fees (about £80)
    Cost of a trailer to pick it up

It was then insurance, MoT, road tax, pick up some number plates, then on the road. Didn't need an SVA because at that point it was over 10 years old.

Because I owned it in Japan for so long, and owned it here for a number of years too, I didn't have to pay import duty or VAT. You'd have to factor that in.

I was told not to put anything in the car for the journey, because of a very high chance it would be stolen by the time I picked it up.
    ! Stuei

Yeah, the plan is to install all the big parts, and send any non-essential removable bits in another box. For those looking for pics, I'll have them up later today. All in all, I'd like to get about 150 000 yen for the car itself. Any less, and I may be better off parting it out.

Pictures of the overview are here.

http://imgur.com/a/ZANoJ

Looks like I'll be swapping a bunch of stuff over, so parting out still isn't off the table....

Skirts are the same as these

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay507121.jpg