Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New US Beat Owner with Gauge Cluster Fuse issue

Great tip on the heat shielding, looks like some quality stuff! I chose to work on other things this past weekend as the car has been driving just fine with no fuses blowing. So one more week and I will start using the A/C again to see if that has any effect.

Good to know that the relays are probably under the dash, I'll check the wiring diagram to make sure next time I look under there. Just as long as they are somewhere (and there has been no relocation and mucking around with them) I can at least check the system. But I guess we'll see when I get there. Thanks everyone for the info, it's really helping me understand the car a lot better.

As a side note, I fabricated a custom strut tower brace this past weekend as an experiment in frugality, check out the build process here - http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthr...-Tower-Bracing
    '81 Honda CM200T
    '89 CA6 Accord Coupe
    '91 Beat PP1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeatPP1USOC/

I have a Beat in Florida. I have brand new RSMach ECU capacitors in my garage if you still need some. I had the thermal layer on my ECU but it still got hot so I got a relocation harness to move it under the seat to prevent that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CZski View Post
    I have a Beat in Florida. I have brand new RSMach ECU capacitors in my garage if you still need some. I had the thermal layer on my ECU but it still got hot so I got a relocation harness to move it under the seat to prevent that issue.
    Hello everyone! So i just purchased a 91 Beat here in California and when the car arrived everything was working fine except the A/C. This past weekend I added the R-134 fitting and filled the A/C system up with new freon and everything was working fine until I turned the car off and tried to start it again. After checking a few things I figured it out was the 10A fuse. Since I have read the advise of many people of this forum my question is, If I just change out the ECU with a new once which I found available in Japan at a Honda dealer, Will this fix my problem?.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bloxdave View Post
    Hello everyone! So i just purchased a 91 Beat here in California and when the car arrived everything was working fine except the A/C. This past weekend I added the R-134 fitting and filled the A/C system up with new freon and everything was working fine until I turned the car off and tried to start it again. After checking a few things I figured it out was the 10A fuse. Since I have read the advise of many people of this forum my question is, If I just change out the ECU with a new once which I found available in Japan at a Honda dealer, Will this fix my problem?.

Thanks everyone!
    I would not change out the ECU before checking other possible issues.

Which 10 amp fuse? It sounds more like an a/c component problem, possibly a bad compressor clutch. Check the electrical resistance of the clutch with the red lead disconnected. It should read at least 3 ohms. I've just been thru the same thing.

Steve in Okinawa

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    I would not change out the ECU before checking other possible issues.

Which 10 amp fuse? It sounds more like an a/c component problem, possibly a bad compressor clutch. Check the electrical resistance of the clutch with the red lead disconnected. It should read at least 3 ohms. I've just been thru the same thing.

Steve in Okinawa

Thanks for the reply Steve!,

Its the middle bank of fused 2nd on down from the top. This is the fuse I assume everyone has been talking about. I am not sure what its for but it did take the dash light out when it blew. I just ordered a new Main relay, AC condenser reply, AC fan relay, Idle air control valve. I will swap these parts our as soon as I get them and report back. BTW, Does anyone know about the window regulators ? Mainly on the right side. I cant seem to find anything on this topic. My drivers side window got stuck and wont go up or down past 1 inch. Its currently stuck half way up. I just ordered a used one off Yahoo Classified in Japan. Honda Japan doesnt seem to have these anymore.

So frustrating.

never heard of a regulater fail but the switches are quite common
    i would take the door panel of and supply a direct feed before ordering the regulator hth

Thanks for the reply Steve!,

Its the middle bank of fused 2nd on down from the top. This is the fuse I assume everyone has been talking about. I am not sure what its for but it did take the dash light out when it blew. I just ordered a new Main relay, AC condenser reply, AC fan relay, Idle air control valve. I will swap these parts our as soon as I get them and report back. BTW, Does anyone know about the window regulators ? Mainly on the right side. I cant seem to find anything on this topic. My drivers side window got stuck and wont go up or down past 1 inch. Its currently stuck half way up. I just ordered a used one off Yahoo Classified in Japan. Honda Japan doesnt seem to have these anymore.

So frustrating.
    Sounds like you need a wiring diagram! Search the forum and if you don't find the one posted here shoot me an email sfab43@h.tmail.com

That fuse is for one of the headlights so when it blew you should have noticed one of them didn't work. (There is a slight disagreement between the fuse layout picture and the wiring diagram as to L or R.) But it's obviously the one that also feeds the guage lights. Tt has no relation to the a/c so still a puzzle there so as I said before, check the a/c parts.

Steve

Past Hondas:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuses.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	2650

Fuse block layout

Past Hondas:

Thanks everyone!
    I'm a little concerned about "added the R134 fitting and filled the A/C system with new "freon"" . Did you use R134 or R12. Online info appears rather variable but I understand that the original "R12" oil does not mix with R134, also there can be problems if the receiver drier is intended for R12

Just converted my system to 134 with no issues. Replaced the dryer

I will try this over the weekend and report bac. I believe the switches are same as the EG Civics. Does anyone know if this is true? I did order a used regulator from Japan for $50 and should have it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuses.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	2650

Fuse block layout
    Thanks for the diagram.It looks like the fuse that blew was the R. Headlight. Weird how the car wouldnt start when this fuse blew. Anyways, I got 2 new AC Relays, New Main replay, New Idle Air control valve today from Japan and will swap these parts out over the weekend and see if this solves my problem. Ill report back shortly. Thanks for the all input.

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceHarding View Post
    I'm a little concerned about "added the R134 fitting and filled the A/C system with new "freon"" . Did you use R134 or R12. Online info appears rather variable but I understand that the original "R12" oil does not mix with R134, also there can be problems if the receiver drier is intended for R12
    All i did was buy the R-12 to R-134A adapter fittings at Wal-Mart for $7 and put them in and recharge system with R-134A freon and everything A/C wise was working fine until the engine blew the fuse. I could not believe how it could be related. What a pain this is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12