Thread: Wobble on the NS/Passenger rear Wheel Hub

help Wobble on the NS/Passenger rear Wheel Hub

As part of my ongoing effort to get my Beat back on the road, I finished servicing a replacement set of second-hand callipers and began the process of swapping them out for the rusted lumps on the car. It all went pretty well until I got to the final wheel on the near-side rear. When I was removing the brake disk i noticed a fair bit of play on the hub. Initially i figured that it was most likely the wheel bearings as there is movement both up/down and left/right on the hub itself.

However, investigated further last night - If i hold the drive axle behind the knuckle the hub seems solid suggesting the bearing is not the culprit? I noticed that axle has a fait bit of lateral play in/out of the transmission. The arms are solid on the knuckle and the only play is from the axle itself.

I was wondering if this could be as simple as the hub nut being loose? Possibly the wheel bearings? Or is it more likely to be the a CV joint issue? Has anyone had a similar issue who can help shed some light on this? I'll try and post a pic tonight to better illustrate the issue.
    Last edited by kungfuyou; 29-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Typically, if there's a wobble in the wheel, it's the wheel bearing. AFAIK, the axle really only serves to send torque down to the wheel, and should have no part in keeping the wheel in place.

Thanks 4Aaron - my dad (retired engineer) had a look at it last night and gave the same opinion. He thought that there should be some lateral movement to compensate for the movement in the suspension. I'll start with the wheel bearing then....

For future reference, I found part numbers:

Bearing:
    44300-SB2-004 (Koyo Seiko) - unavailable
    44300-SB2-014 (Koyo Seiko) - unavailable
    44300-SB2-018 (Koyo Seiko) - £112.00 from Honda
    44300-SB2-028 - £112.00 from Honda

I think the dimensions (need confirmation) are:

Inner: 34mm
    Outer: 64mm
    Width: 37mm

Which brings up a couple of options from simplybearings.co.uk :
    http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/adv...4&keywords3=37

Possibly also need:
    91055-SA7-000 (64mm Circlip)
    90305-692-010 (22mm Driveshaft nut)
    44347-SB2-003 (Ring)
    Last edited by kungfuyou; 30-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Had same symptoms years ago. Bearings were worn. Simple fix.