Thread: Imported to USA

Imported to USA

Beat owners,
    I am a new Beat owner having imported a 1991 from Japan earlier this month (September 2016). I made it through Customs (took 20 minutes) and am now awaiting the long process of getting it titled and registered in the state of Pennsylvania.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	2651

It feels like I will need a new clutch and front brake calipers, I'm going to attempt to convert to Honda Jazz/Fit brakes. We'll see how that goes.
    If anyone should have any questions or need any help, please feel free to contact me.
    Thanks!
    Mark

Hi

did you get the headlamps converted for right hand traffic?

they should be flat/american beam

as far as I know OEM beat headlamps are for left hand traffic only so when importing to the US or europe you have to modify them

mine haven't been modified, beam is tested as Japan/American beam pattern at MOT,
    no pronounced kick up, just a very slight step between the 2 flat lines.
    we can't get E marked replacements but as far as i know there have been no major issues with testing unlike US or Canada with some 'creative' lamps being fabbed.

thanks .. so factory headlamps on beat are DOT and not "jdm/typical left hand traffic" as shown in this picture http://web.archive.org/web/200402041...lustration.gif ?

I'll have to see for myself this weekend .

Not sure if that helps in my case however (I want to get my beat registered in continental europe).

Quote Originally Posted by OxenBeat View Post
    Beat owners,
    I am a new Beat owner having imported a 1991 from Japan earlier this month (September 2016). I made it through Customs (took 20 minutes) and am now awaiting the long process of getting it titled and registered in the state of Pennsylvania.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	2651

It feels like I will need a new clutch and front brake calipers, I'm going to attempt to convert to Honda Jazz/Fit brakes. We'll see how that goes.
    If anyone should have any questions or need any help, please feel free to contact me.
    Thanks!
    Mark
    Were the early Fits even sold in the US/Canada market?

I didn't change or have to change the headlights at all, I registered the Beat as an Antique vehicle so I don't need any Inspection or Emission testing done to the car.

No, the early Fit/Jazz was not and the GD3 that was sold in the States don't fit (they are too large). I ended up importing Calipers, Rotors and Pads from Japan and the UK (just the Rotors).

What discs/pads did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking?

OK - thanks for info. Lucky you

I used whatever was the stock pads, they fit perfectly and are actually green (kinda cool). I bought them on Japan Auto Auction or maybe it was Crooober.com. I don't remember.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I just replaced my pads and attached is a pic of the part numbers. These were bought 11 years ago as part of a large cache of spares when I first bought the Beat. I do recall that I had the brake sys overhauled at that time and new pads and rotors were supplied by the local rebuild shop. So it would suggest that the parts are common to another NA Honda.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170726_095841.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	2733