Thread: Check Engine light on but no blinking during diagnostics

Check Engine light on but no blinking during diagnostics

Hi all,

So now I got my Beat running and moving, but the check engine light is on. Tried to follow the diagnostics procedure here but am getting no blinking.

So no I decided to have a look inside the ECU. I replaced 6 electrolytic capacitors [here] and a corroded resistor. The car still starts, idles and revs fine (haven't driven it yet), but the check engine light is still on and I'm getting no blinking when shorting the Check Connector terminals.

The only problem with starting the car is that sometimes I need to press the throttle for it to start.

What could possibly be wrong? Is there any other diagnosis port? What more do I need to check?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ngbeat View Post
    Hi all,

So now I got my Beat running and moving, but the check engine light is on. Tried to follow the diagnostics procedure here but am getting no blinking.

So no I decided to have a look inside the ECU. I replaced 6 electrolytic capacitors [here] and a corroded resistor. The car still starts, idles and revs fine (haven't driven it yet), but the check engine light is still on and I'm getting no blinking when shorting the Check Connector terminals.

The only problem with starting the car is that sometimes I need to press the throttle for it to start.

What could possibly be wrong? Is there any other diagnosis port? What more do I need to check?

Thanks
    OK, and mine too. After 6 years of instant starting with no throttle, I now endure a moment of panic that then subsides after I pump the throttle a few times and try again. It starts up and runs fine but I don't like this! Do I need new plugs, or did I get some bad petrol last time?

Steve in Okinawa

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by ngbeat View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    OK, and mine too. After 6 years of instant starting with no throttle, I now endure a moment of panic that then subsides after I pump the throttle a few times and try again. It starts up and runs fine but I don't like this! Do I need new plugs, or did I get some bad petrol last time?

Steve in Okinawa

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post

Steve in Okinawa
    Hi Steve,

My plugs aren't that old .. but that's the next step I'll be taking care of .. also my car has been sitting for quite some time .. but old fuel is gone, new filter installed and cleaned injectors and topped up with new petrol ..
    Last time I checked the plugs, they indicated that car is running rich .. but I need to check again ..
    Also, I might be adding a fuel pressure regulator.

However, my main issue is check engine light is on and I'm not getting any diagnostics blinking.

Would appreciate if you let me know if you manage to find a solution for your problem

Anyone have any insight on this? I have the same problem and was about to look at replacing/fixing the ECU.

Likely ecu. My first beat used to stare it with no delay, then after a very cold frosty morning, it didn't. Ever since then it h
    Ad. A 2 or 3 second delay b4 firing up. Ran ok, revved ok, drove ok.
    Put a known ok ECU in it and back to normal :-)
    Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Hughesy99 View Post
    Likely ecu. My first beat used to stare it with no delay, then after a very cold frosty morning, it didn't. Ever since then it h
    Ad. A 2 or 3 second delay b4 firing up. Ran ok, revved ok, drove ok.
    Put a known ok ECU in it and back to normal :-)
    Hope that helps
    Thanks for you help .. Here where I live (Malta) it's practically impossible to find an parts for a Beat, let alone an ECU :/ ... so far I replaced all damaged components in the ECU, mainly capacitors and a resistor .. I will check for any other dry joints I might have missed.