Thread: My Interview When I Bought My Beat

My Interview When I Bought My Beat

I was interviewed by the owner at Montu Motors when I purchased my Beat and the video is finally up! Here is a link

https://youtu.be/-tcGtARs0-A

The best part is I misspoke a few times about info I am more versed in now, so go easy on me. Also, I am kind of weird, so yeah... enjoy!
    '81 Honda CM200T
    '89 CA6 Accord Coupe
    '91 Beat PP1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeatPP1USOC/

Nice video. Shame to see so many go to the States rather than here!

Yours seems to have very good paintwork.

Anyway, welcome to the Beat owning experience.
    ! Stuei

The
    Quote Originally Posted by stu g View Post
    Nice video. Shame to see so many go to the States rather than here!

Yours seems to have very good paintwork.

Anyway, welcome to the Beat owning experience.
    But the number of Beats in the US is still much less than in the UK. Restrictive laws, and disdain for small things in general and small cars in particular would seem to top the list of reasons. (OK, so the first sports car I ever drove in the States was an Austin-Healey Sprite Mk I, which is pretty small but still dwarfs the Beat.)

Steve in Okinawa

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Watchman - I'm surprised they left the flare in the passenger footwell, when I brought mine over from Japan I had to get rid of it before it went on the ferry here because of the explosive risk (dropped it in a bucket of water rather than set it off).

(All Japanese cars have a flare which you can put in the road to warn other drivers that you have broken down.)

Also - you mentioned a Mugen version. I'm pretty sure there wasn't one...
    ! Stuei

Thanks for watching guys!

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post

But the number of Beats in the US is still much less than in the UK. Restrictive laws, and disdain for small things in general and small cars in particular would seem to top the list of reasons. (OK, so the first sports car I ever drove in the States was an Austin-Healey Sprite Mk I, which is pretty small but still dwarfs the Beat.)

Steve in Okinawa
    Yeah, the number here in the US is still rather small, and I don't expect it to grow rapidly, but I know there are at least a couple dozen now so at least it's something!

Quote Originally Posted by stu g View Post
    Watchman - I'm surprised they left the flare in the passenger footwell, when I brought mine over from Japan I had to get rid of it before it went on the ferry here because of the explosive risk (dropped it in a bucket of water rather than set it off).

(All Japanese cars have a flare which you can put in the road to warn other drivers that you have broken down.)

Also - you mentioned a Mugen version. I'm pretty sure there wasn't one...
    I was also surprised that they left the flare, especially because I didn't know it was a flare until it showed up. Seemed like that would be one of the first things to go.

As for the Mugen thing, I had misspoke a few times due to my then lack of knowledge on the Beat (though I still am clueless about a lot of things). I thought I knew a bunch but I've learned loads more after I got it. From my reading now it seems like there were some places that sold the Beats outfitted with many of the Mugen accessories, but there wasn't a specific Mugen edition, but again, I may be incorrect. I also stated in the video that people did engine swaps with a B12... you know like vitamin B12. Also said it was only made for three years. I didn't have a script while I was talking and I rambled on for a good half hour so of course, I mucked that up. Oh well
    '81 Honda CM200T
    '89 CA6 Accord Coupe
    '91 Beat PP1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeatPP1USOC/

There wasn't a Mugen version of the Beat (though there are Mugen parts available). You meant the top line Version Z of the Beat. Its main difference was a limited slip differential - total overkill for the stock engine, but pretty useful if that was ever replaced with a more powerful one.