Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ecu

Ecu

F**********************************k!!!

Swapped out the 6 capacitors after reading the threads on this board to try and cure a low rev misfire and now my car will not start at all!!! One of them had been leaking.

there's an ECU on ebay, think the seller is a little optimistic with the price however

I don't know if Rich (hughesy) has one spare or not? are the tracks on the ecu around the caps ok?

If first you don't succeed, try try again. I expect you just have an iffy bit of soldering, or possibly duff capacitors, or the polarity wrong. Try resoldering it, and then checking the connection with a multimeter. Also, are you sure you've gotten the capacitors the right way around? They are polarized.
    ! Stuei

Yes I saw the ebay ECU. I'd rather try Honda for a new one at £500 than risk my money on that one.
    I have taken a day or two off from the ECU to relax a little. Yes I know they have polarity, and I thought I had them all the right way round. But sometimes in a disappointed state mistakes can be made so I will check again. Then check the soldering and test the caps.
    Tracks seem ok but again, I shall check.

Cheers for your replies guys

Re the polarity, you can tell if it is the right way because of the wider stripe down the capacitor. You can use a reference picture such as this http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nowi64/32331325.html to see if yours are correct.
    ! Stuei

Cheers for the info and support people. I am going in for another attempt. Will keep you all posted.

Knowledge.
    Sorry for my ignorance before I start.
    Had the capacitors and a small section of track repaired. Replaced the ECU. Nothing. Engine turns over but will not fire up.
    Removed a plug and a spark is present. Dropped small amount of fuel into cylinder. Replaced plug and still nothing.
    Any ideas appreciated people.

Pull an injector and see if it is firing.
    ! Stuei

Pull an injector eh? Lol.
    I may add that I am an absolute novice when it comes to engines.
    I have removed the plastic injector cover to expose the wiring loom. What next?

OK, the Beat injectors are on a common rail, so you'll need to unbolt all three injectors so that you don't undo any of the fuel or electrical connections. Point the injectors in to a dry container and turn the engine over for a few seconds, you should be getting a spray of fuel from each. Please remember that this is petrol, so don't crank it forever as you will be sending a combustible spray in to the air which could catch fire.

As you know you have a spark, the only other variable (provided you have not changed anything else) is the fuel. If you are not getting any fuel then it is likely that you have an ECU issue.

The other option is to borrow an ECU from another Beat. If it works you know that the ECU is the issue, and as it was (largely) working before the repair you'll know that the repair is the issue.

Re swapping another ECU, do you know any other Beat owners near Leeds?

Stu
    ! Stuei

Top man Stu,

I'll give it a go and get back to you.
    No Beat owners near to me now that I know of to be honest.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by stu g View Post
    OK, the Beat injectors are on a common rail, so you'll need to unbolt all three injectors so that you don't undo any of the fuel or electrical connections. Point the injectors in to a dry container and turn the engine over for a few seconds,
    woah there. the fuel rail bolts to the intake and the injectors are sandwiched between them. if you unbolt the fuel rail there is nothing stopping the injectors firing out of the fuel rail and soaking you in fuel when you key on

easiest way to work out if it's spark or fuel is to buy a can of easy start and spray it into the air filter whilst cranking

if it starts and cuts out when you stop spraying, you have a fuel issue. if it doesn't start at all, you have a spark issue.

Removed injectors and turned the engine over, no fuel issuing from them. So I'm guessing it may be faulty repair or component on the ECU?
    Opinions, and what to do next please people?
    Dave

i take it you've checked the fuel relay next to the ECU? have been known to go 'dry'.
    check if it clicks when ignition is turned on

Never assume I've done anything like that old uns!!! I'm a complete novice when it comes to internal combustion engine thingy!
    I'll give it a listen, Cheers.

The relay clicks as it should.

so you've got sparks, relay clicks next step i guess is to check if Pump is working?
    check the fuses in rear fuse box as well.
    remove fuel feed pipe and place end into can/jar and make sure you're getting fuel to injector rail. easier than trying to check ECU

I checked the three blade fuses in the rear and they are all good. I will check everything else you have mentioned.

Seventynine, I didn't intentionally ignore your advice re the injectors, I just acted before I had read your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast