Thread: Rattle Rattle Rattle

Hybrid View

The clutch is in. The first rattle is gone, the second one (the scary one) is not, sigh. Once I saw the clutch I didn't expect it to fix the second one. The four compression spring in the disk were loose (the normal cause of the annoying rattle), but everything else was solid. The input shaft to the transmission was also solid, I couldn't detect any play in it. Not sure where I'll look next.

not many things left then?
    AC compressor / alternator bearings
    layshaft/end bearings etc in the box of magic tricks

The fact that it goes away when you press the clutch down, there is a load of good gear oil in the box isn't there?

Yes. When I pulled the tranny I lost a fair amount of oil out of the axle holes when I tipped it sideways. Oil looked brand new. After I put tranny back in I opened the side plug and filled with Honda MTF until it started running out. Looked like I put about as much in as came out.

I got the valve cover off last night, gonna check valve clearances when I get a chance.

Valve clearances were all out by .002-.003". Reset those and I was amazed at how much quieter it was. But the ugly rattle is still there...and it's rod #2, ugh. Not sure specifics yet, haven't opened it up. I removed one spark plug lead and drove it, did this for each cylinder. Rattle was GONE when #2 was unplugged. Nice to have found it, but not a good problem to have.

Got the crank out Saturday, took it with all the bearings to machine shop today, guy says it looks a little worn but doesn't look bad enough to cause any noise. So must be up top. I pulled the bottom with engine in car, didn't want to have to remove intake, exhaust, water lines, electrical. Oh well, another blown weekend ahead doing all that. I would like to have the crank journals measured while its out, but the shop has no idea what they should be of course (in US). Anybody know?

It's in Japanese, but the Engine Shop Manual download below may help you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wL...RAUcxlKaF9PVvP
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.