Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beat owner...from the US!?

Talking New Beat owner...from the US!?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Adam, and I am from the relatively boring state of Ohio.
    I just ordered a Beat from Japan, and wanted to familiarize myself with a few things before the car arrives.
    Unfortunately since in the US we cannot import (non-compliant) cars until they are 25 years old, they haven't been available until a year or two ago. So after looking around there appears to be no US community at all, or even sources of info.

I've already found some of the write-ups here very informative, such as the guide to changing the timing belt, which I will likely do.

I do, however, have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for.
    1) Is the Beat's E07A engine non-interference? Basically I am wondering if the car is safe to drive it for a while before changing the timing belt, or if a broken belt could in turn bend valves and damage the piston.
    2) What is the required fuel for the Beat? Will it run on 92 RON (which would be ~87 AKI for me) or does it require premium 99 RON (93 AKI)?
    3) Has anyone made a list of interchangeable parts from more widely available cars like the Fit (Jazz)?

Thanks for any info!
    1991 Nissan 240SX (aka 180SX) SR20DET swap, upgraded turbo, HKS stage 2 cams
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST (5-door) Mostly stock
    1991 Honda Beat (mods from previous owner - coilovers, cat-back exhaust, stickers/emblems everywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Unfortunately since in the US we cannot import (non-compliant) cars until they are 25 years old, they haven't been available until a year or two ago. So after looking around there appears to be no US community at all, or even sources of info.
    welcome...
    assuming you're on it.....https://www.facebook.com/groups/Honda.Beat.PP1/

1. broken belt WILL cause damage
    2. I run on Unleaded 95RON? no doubt someone will claim it runs better on Vmax etc but i've never bothered, hardly gonna claim some power back
    3. a lot of parts are specific but oil filters are common, rear discs/pads are easily available, fronts are Beat specific. GD1 Jazz discs and calipers needed to upgrade, personally i see no need for it but it seems the other side of the pond its a neccessity unless the OEM's are shot?
    fuel relay is a common '90's Honda part, ECU commonly needs a bit of TLC, leaking resistors, Tacho appears to be a small issue, again US seems to be more affected not here so much for some reason

Hi Adam, yes the E07A is an interference engine and will cost you thousands if you let the belt snap. I've seen recommendations of changing it every 70,000km.
    I use premium gas for better performance, but have used regular occasionally and get some pinging while lugging the engine.
    Parts wise, there are many that are interchangeable. Best to just google the part # and see what else it fits.
    Best of luck with the new Beat. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Please.
    Barry.

Thanks for the Info guys!
    I signed up on the FB page.
    Not sure how I can give an ECU some TLC, but if I find it I will assure it that "everything will be all right."

I'll get some pictures up when I get the car (6 weeks?) and de-sticker it. The Previous Japanese owner was a big Honda fan, to the point where he stuck many Honda emblems on it, and I think what is a giant Honda with wings (from a Goldwing?) on the dash.
    I'll probably trailer the car home, and unless it's been changed recently do the timing belt before driving it.
    Luckily Yokahama seems to have a pretty good selection of Beat parts and will ship to the US: http://yokohamamotors.net/store/page61.html
    Are there any other good sources that ship to the US?
    1991 Honda Beat (mods from previous owner - coilovers, cat-back exhaust, stickers/emblems everywhere)

TLC is what you do if you have one like this...only thread i could find with pics (Photof***it seems to have claimed most forums pics)
    http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthr...ing+capacitors

at the age of Beats now and where the ECU is mounted most will either have had them done or need doing

Interesting. I'll have to look at mine. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen in electronics.
    Where is the ECU located on Beats?

Interesting. I'll have to look at mine. I didn't know that was a thing that could happen in electronics.
    Where is the ECU located on Beats?
    ECU is in the driver compartment, behind a panel behind the passenger seat. There are about six capacitors that need replacing because they blow. Even if you think they look fine, they are so cheap and (if you can solder) easy to replace that it is stupid not to. This shows the location of the capacitors, you can read the specs on the side of each one (or an electrician can do this for you). https://www.goo-net.com/pit/shop/0123346/blog/36537

Stuei
    ! Stuei

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Adam, and I am from the relatively boring state of Ohio.
    I just ordered a Beat from Japan, and wanted to familiarize myself with a few things before the car arrives.

I've already found some of the write-ups here very informative, such as the guide to changing the timing belt, which I will likely do.

I do, however, have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers for.
    1) Is the Beat's E07A engine non-interference? Basically I am wondering if the car is safe to drive it for a while before changing the timing belt, or if a broken belt could in turn bend valves and damage the piston.
    2) What is the required fuel for the Beat? Will it run on 92 RON (which would be ~87 AKI for me) or does it require premium 99 RON (93 AKI)?
    3) Has anyone made a list of interchangeable parts from more widely available cars like the Fit (Jazz)?

Thanks for any info!
    Parts wise, I have found that jp carparts are pretty good. If you have the part numbers you can order up parts from any Honda dealer (at least you can in Europe, not sure about the US).
    ! Stuei

Are there any other good sources that ship to the US?
    Robert Crosbie on the Facebook group is solid. Otherwise, if you're looking for a budget option, I can help out for smaller parts for the next few months as well.

As far as your gas question goes, I've been running on regular with no apparent problems.

Everyone who has done the GD1 brake upgrade says it's highly recommended. I'm in the process of doing it myself. The big advantage would be that GD1 parts are far more available. IE, far more manufacturers make GD1 front rotors than PP1 rotors.

as far as I have seen almost nothing fits from other honda models. I did find out you can use a civic ef or eg steering wheel hub for an aftermarket steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    Everyone who has done the GD1 brake upgrade says it's highly recommended. I'm in the process of doing it myself. The big advantage would be that GD1 parts are far more available. IE, far more manufacturers make GD1 front rotors than PP1 rotors.
    Thanks, I might have to check into that. What all is needed...caliper, bracket, rotors and pads only? Since we didn't get the DG1 Fit I'm assuming I'd have to import that from Europe as well
    For now I'll just start with the timing belt and water pump which are ~$230 from yokohamamotors.net/store/.

One other thing I forgot about is the car has like a race seat, so I am hoping I can find a similar enough Honda seat to swap in the car...
    Does anyone know if the seat rails are the same on older Civics and the like?

i'd suggest getting the car first before you decide what you need rather than like?
    750kg car, 86mph max....brakes are adequate, unless yours are completely shot?, tyres are the limiting factor usually and whether you're running with the spare wheel or not makes a difference. small space saver it may be but that little bit of weight helps when it's in there.
    i've done a few track days, sprints, not had an issue, even the mountains of Northern Spain down the hairpin roads with discs like these......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170520_183956.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	2737
    the Beat, like a lot of early 90's Kei cars were short production runs, although saying that the Beat ran for 5 yrs or so, and 99% of parts are car specific

seats....'fabbing them shouldn't be too difficult......drivers seat is wider than passenger......a 'normal' sized seat is a tight fit
    Last edited by old'uns; 14-03-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Yeah I wasn't planning on replacing the brakes unless they were worn out...but wanted to weigh my options should I need to.
    I will be doing a timing belt unless there is a sticker on the engine that shows it's been done recently.

Thanks, I might have to check into that. What all is needed...caliper, bracket, rotors and pads only? Since we didn't get the DG1 Fit I'm assuming I'd have to import that from Europe as well
    For now I'll just start with the timing belt and water pump which are ~$230 from yokohamamotors.net/store/.

One other thing I forgot about is the car has like a race seat, so I am hoping I can find a similar enough Honda seat to swap in the car...
    Does anyone know if the seat rails are the same on older Civics and the like?
    The seat rails are specific to the Beat, I'm afraid. But yeah, try out the seat, and see how it feels. If you don't like it, hopefully it's a bottom mount seat.

Delighted to meet you, AdamS! I, too, am in Ohio (Columbus) and brought home my Beat yesterday.
    I don't know much yet but can supply my drive home experience.
    2) I don't know what route home you'll take (or even if you plan to drive it home), but if you are planning on I-68, I'd go premium for sure. Those mountain pulls are long and I think it would have knocked on regular.
    It's otherwise no big deal to drive it on US highways and people regard it with benevolent curiosity.
    Also you have good taste in cars (my other car is a Fiesta ST).

Ha...that's pretty funny. I entertained the idea of driving it back, but to be on the safe side I am going to trailer it back because I don't really know it's running and timing belt condition that well.
    If I were driving the Beat I would hit some curvy backroads, but since I'll be in my wifes Flex and have a trailer I'll essentially just take the most direct highway route.

Anyway, maybe sometime I'll drive out to a Columbus C&C and meet up with you...maybe hit up Hocking Hills (some of the best/curviest roads in Ohio) after
    Last edited by Adam S; 19-03-2018 at 08:52 PM.

You're making the smarter decision, for sure. I ordered a belt and am going to swap it before any auto-xing.
    We hit back roads whenever I got sick of the highways. It was a delight, and I got to see some new parts of rural MD / PA / WV / OH.
    And C&C and Hocking Hills sound grand anytime! I haven't been down thataway in far too long.

Awesome!
    I was wondering what company you bought your car through? Was it imported for you, or did you actually pick it up from the shipping yard directly (as I will be doing)? I am basically hoping to get a better understanding of the pickup process. I know I need the EPA and NHSTA forms for customs but I don't really understand how the car unloading process works. Are there any fees? Does the shipping company contact me when it is ready? Will they hold it for a few days? Etc...

OK, I am sure I am forgetting things, but will revise/edit about 7:30pm EDT when I'll have everything at hand...
    I bought from Amagasaki Motor near Osaka. They were totally awesome and highly recommended. They linked me to an import broker in Baltimore, All Ways International Shipping, who were also great and made the process pretty easy, tbh (so far; I still need to get the permanent plates). The guy there guided me through what forms were needed when, and Amagasaki sent me the bill of sale (for temp tag) and export certificates/bills of lading(you'll need to send the "FIRST ORIGINAL" one to the shippers and a check for like $100). Amagasaki Motors shipped via Hoegh Autoliners, who were unremarkable. The boat showed up and the car was ok, so hooray for them, too.
    Once the car arrived (and I had overnighted the B.O.L. to the shippers), the importer sent me the release forms; one was for US stuff and the other for shipping company release (I'll look up precisely what they are tonight). I brought those and my ID to the port address he sent me, and a nice lady stamped my papers and apologized that once I had been there a few times, she'd recognize me and wouldn't have to check my ID .
    I took the paper she gave me to the trailer in the lot, and one fellow went and got it (from the delightful collection of JDM hardware chilling there) while another sidled up to look to chuckle at its tininess. The guy pulled my car up, grunted out of the seat, and said have fun. Once my friend and chase driver had stopped laughing at it (he did not know what to expect), we checked the fluids, bolted on a temp tag, and hit the road. No fuss, no bother, no inconvenience. We gassed up at the seedy gas station by the freeway entrance and made our cacophonous escape. A really cool and easy process.
    I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll look around tonight. Let me know if I left anything really unclear, too! I really lucked out in that Amagasaki had a really nice, cheap Beat and all the convenience of buying from a dealer, so my experience represents the easiest one possible, I would guess.
    Last edited by Ohioan; 20-03-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: EDT, not EST

Awesome!
    What is really funny is that literally the day after I reserved and paid for my car (from carfromjapan) I was brousing videos and found Amagasaki. After a few videos I decided I would likely use him for my next import (and wished I had maybe found him earlier). I love how he actually tests the cars...hard, and goes through every minor fault each car has. So it's great to confirm that Amagasaki works out well. I wonder if there is a video of your car??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast