Thread: No cluster lights, no relay click

No cluster lights, no relay click

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have read and searched a lot in the past few days allowing me to progress with my issue however I have come to a dead end. Let me explain:

I rescued a 91 beat in red from the scrap heap, it’s done 129000k and is a bit worse for wear. It has not been running since 2008.

Initially I had no spark and the gauge cluster lights like the oil and engine etc didn’t light up when key turned.

With a new battery, clean terminals and confirmed good earth and 12v to ignition barrel would allow me to turn the engine over and various other functions like turn signals, wipers, heater and stereo however I had no main relay click and no gauge cluster lights.

I checked and replaced 1x 10amp and 1x 15amp fuse under the drivers side dash, this gave me dash lights but the main relay would not click. I stripped and soldered the main relay and it would now click but I had no spark at the coil and no spark signal from ecu. I stripped the ecu and replaced 6 capacitors, now I have spark at coil. I cleaned and reinstalled the distributor cap and replaced spark plugs. I checked and confirmed the distributor is rotating and the static timing is right.

Now that I have spark and main relay click I drained and replaced the petrol and tried to start the engine. It almost started after approx 5 seconds and when I looked back at the dash I had lost my gauge cluster lights again. I checked the fuses and none have blown. The main relay no longer clicks and I have no spark signal. I have checked the ignition barrel switch and the ignition voltage and they are fine. I have checked the ignition loom connections and the gauge cluster loom connections for corrosion and continuity and they are fine. I have tested the 3 relays under the dash for wipers, turning signal and heater and they are fine. I have checked all fuses in the boot and they are fine.

What am I missing?

Please help beat gurus

Thanks
    Gene in Christchurch, New Zealand

All sorted. Turns out the fuel pump was a dead short and kept blowing the main relay fuse which would test ok with a continuity meter but upon further visual inspection the fuse was blown. I ended up using a spare nsx fuel pump I never got around to fitting.

Thanks