Thread: ECU warning light but no codes

ECU warning light but no codes

Hi,

My water pump recently ceased and hence damaged all the valves. The engine has been stripped down and rebuilt with new parts from shipped over from Japan and the engine runs and sounds good; however, the engine light came on and gave me a code "9" error (cylinder 1 position). I cleared the code but now the warning light still comes on but does not provide any new warning code number.

I read a thread about this on the forum but it had no conclusion.

Before the warning light comes on fully it seems to partially illuminate and flicker.

I am hoping maybe someone has seen this before and points me in the right direction before I pull it all apart again... I plan to focus on the distributor timing and then maybe the position sensor connectors and engine earth cables.

Appreciate any help

Cheers

Andy

The giveaway, in my opinion is the partially illuminate and flicker.
    I’m guessing a plug for one of the sensors is dirty or a ground isn’t making full contact. Worst case, something is corroded. My ‘ramen is ready’ (cat temperature) light came on in a similar fashion.

hi i had a similar issue before and it was actually the ecu starting to fail
    might be worth removing and opening it up for inspection

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

I think there was condensation in the ECU. the interior was a little damp from not being used for a long time and once dried out and warmed up with the heater seems to be all ok.

I guess the original fault message was from when the water pump and cam belt jammed. Hence when I cleared it no additional errors. just the light having a damp short somewhere between the ECU and dash warning light.

All good now though.. another beat saved from the scrap yard... until the next big problem.

Cheers

Andy

good to hear your back on the road

do you have any of the old valves as i have found a uk based company that may be able to reproduce them but need a sample thanks

No sorry. They were probably bent. The inlet valves set was only £150, so I would be surprised if you get a set made for that.
    It's the exhaust valves which seem harder to obtain and are about £140 each. found two reliable importers of beat parts. nengun and JDM. now i requested a quote for all the parts I needed, you should see the parts on their website or eBay. I used JDM on eBay. They do reduce the combined postage but best to email them with a shopping list and agree combined postage upfront if you can. Don't forget approx 20% duty and £20 royal mail handling charges. Maybe work buying a new exhaust valve and see how much it would cost to copy. I may buy another set for the shelf.