Thread: New Kid(s) On The Block

New Kid(s) On The Block

Hello all,

We expect to be collecting our Beat (1993) on Thursday of this week having seen her on Sunday and made (almost) an impulse purchase after a test drive.

She fitted the bill very well of what my SO had been looking for in a set of wheels, so, after a bit of research on the web (where I found you all here) and weighing up the pros and cons reading through the numerous helpful messages from you all in this forum, we decided to make the move and buy her.

Thursday evening this week should see her inaugural run in our ownership from North Kent (where we used to live) to South Yorkshire (where we live now).

Insurance we've sorted through Tesco - my current insurers, "More Than" wouldn't consider insuring her. History-wise it seems she appears to have had an engine re-build after a cam-belt fiasco some time ago and hasn't seen much use since.

We're sure she'll be great fun (I've read several times of the grin factor ) but will perhaps not always plain sailing

I'm prepared to get my hands dirty and learn as I go but it would be useful to have a feel for the nearest place to Doncaster (even if its a hundred miles or more away) where it would be possible to get servicing and repairs carried out. Be gentle with me!

I've read here about possible problems with the distributor, the ECU and the cam-belt - any other helpful comments about experiences of Beat ownership, obtaining parts and getting practical help with the mechanical side would be of interest.

Sorry for the long first post - and wish us luck for Thursday evening's journey north!

Cheers for now,

Andy (and Pat).

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the mad house - Im sure you'll be delighted with your new baby!!!

Theres a link to a European website for bits and bobs - I'll post it as soon as I find it again. I think they sell Honda motorbike parts but they have Beat bits too. Must get break pads soon ...

Also check out Ozsamurai's pages - lots of handy info and sweet mod parts to order - drool.

Most of all though - dont be afraid to ask - the chaps here are solid gold and REALLY helpful if you find yourself in a bit of bother!

Welcome again!

Cheers,
    Dave
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Hi Andy,

Welcome to tha mad world of beat ownership....

We are a friendly bunch here Honest and hopefully we will be able to answer any of your questions that you have after you get it home on Thursday...

Hopefully, after having the cambelt replaced, most things should be ok for now, once you have it home though it might pay you to check the distributor batch number to make sure it is OK...

See this post for details http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthr...ht=distributor

Luckily checking the batch number isn't too hard...

As for servicing, unfortunately being down here in Ipswich I can't help but funnily enough in kent, where your buying it from Steve M (who works for honda) does do servicing where he works for several Beats...

Hopefully, JCS (Runs the owners club) will be able to suggest someone closer to where you live.

Hope this helps

Adrian.

Welcome aboard!

Dont worry about asking questions here, even if you feel you are repeating older questions! (there is a search facility on the board, but its not always that useful if you dont know what the thingy-m-bob is called that you are searching for!)

Have fun!

PW
    'Beatless for 4 years now

Hello

Hiya we got a new family member! great! hope your beat gives you as much pleasure as mine has to me (no it's not a pervy comment)
    Add water and it becomes a NSX!

Re: Hello

Originally posted by NUNAKHAN
    hope your beat gives you as much pleasure as mine has to me (no it's not a pervy comment)
    ALL TOGETHER NOW..... Oh Yes It Is....

Yorkshire's quite big ...

... so whereabouts are you guys? We have a couple of members probably in your general vicinity, so home us in a bit.

And welcome to a most exclusive band of automotive connoisseurs!
    Law of relativity: The sensation of speed is directly related to how close your bum is to the ground - try karting!

Thanks for the friendly welcome from you all....

The links and suggestions you've posted will be very useful, its great that there are people who take the time and effort to help others in this way. Hopefully I'll be able to give something back one day.

I'll check the distributor batch as per Adrian's suggestion at the weekend sometime, while finding my way around.

Although we've lived in Doncaster for a few years we still make regular visits to the Medway area so its highly likely she'll be back in Kent from time to time too.

JCS - I've changed my profile to show Doncaster now, instead of just Yorkshire, so that should help pinpoint us! You mention members - is there an owner's club to join? If so, let me have the details and we'll join up.

I tried to make an entry on the 'map' on this site last night but was unsuccesful, I'll try again shortly.

A colleague of Pat's said he thought he saw a Beat in the Doncaster area last night - can't be us yet, we're still looking forward to Thursday

Cheers for now and thanks again.

Belated Welcome!

You don't read the board for a day and someone has a baby! Welcome from the Samurai and his not so secret band of Honda Ninja. Hope its all smiles with your new Beat, lets know if I can help you out on anything!

Cheers

Oz

Re: Belated Welcome!

Originally posted by ozsamurai
    Hope its all smiles with your new Beat
    Thank-you. Well we've started off well....

I'd read here about the grin factor and now we both understand

Andy & Pat.