Thread: 2nd gear crunch

2nd gear crunch

Hi again folks,

Sorry if this issue has been raised and answered before (did a search and couldn't find it..)

One thing about The Cap'n (apart from that infernal rattling, but Steve has explained that already) is that I seem to be crunching the gearbox a lot on 2nd gear - in particular the change from 4th to 2nd.

Would this be my bad driving (altho a couple of other people have driven him and had the same problem), or the gearbox, or the clutch? Or maybe a combination of all the above?

Cheers!

Disclaimer: Beeby still rocks my world, whether he crunches, or rattles, or whatever

Just a thought on this Tamsin, have you put in after market floor mats? I have heard on many occasion that the gear shifting issue is solved by taking the inch thick mats out from under the clutch! If it is a serious shift problem, then you may want to start having a look at your flywheel/clutchplate, most likely it would show signs of fatigue as you release the clutch in the way of slipping half way on the up stroke. I always shift down in order anyway so I wouldn't do a 4-2 shift, I think my gearbox would shit a few cogs at the speeds I travel!

Cheers

Oz

Thanks Oz - I never thought of the floor mats (Beeby does have some, yes). Might be worth a try!!

Think I will try to get it fixed fairly soon if it keeps happening tho - don't want it getting any worse and perhaps causing more damage...

Hi again Tasmin,
    Great to hear you have your Beat.

On you gear crunching issue I'd go along with Oz on the box changing. By changing from 4th to 2nd you're trying to accelerate the shafts in the gearbox by a huge amount with some tiny cone clutches that weren't designed for this when new. Now they're a bit worn they wont like it.

You should be changing sequencially anyway now you have a sports car.

Tim

First/second gear syncro @ £232.57

Gearbox strip to sort that one out.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.