Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You want chips with that?

You dont get something for nothing when it comes to engine performance, and i'm guessing it burns a little more fuel to get the performance hike. If its not doing this too cleanly then it would explain the increase in emmisions.

Oz can perhaps tell us if this is the norm, or whether spence is just special!

PW
    'Beatless for 4 years now

Hmm I have heard that chipping actually helps improve fuel ecconomy though due the increase in torque and therefore not needing to drive with so much throttle all the time. If this is the case the emmissions surely wouldn't be a problem?

I find it hard to believe that chipping would be such a common mod if it was causing this many problems to all car owners who chip?

It would be interesting to see what results other people get.
    Paul W we are all waiting with baited breath for your results...
    It's gone, it's all gone!!

Wow this has become a heated debate, its good to see some action on the board for a change I thought you'd all gone for the summer. Emmissions, the chip shouldn't make any or very little difference, it does alter the three MAPS used in the ECU programming, but emmisions ratios come as direct results of Fuel/Air ratio and what the catalytic converter does with it, dirty sparks can even hike the values due to insufficient or latent burn, there are a host of factors. The fact that Spence's Beat went up is not actually conclusive proof unless the emission testing was done immediately prior to chip installation and then again immediately after, and I don't think MOT intervals are that close. Playing with the MAPS, offers a chance for those in the know to streamline the peak values of them, whereas Honda would go for a median style curve to get the best of both worlds in a 'safe marketable way'. This is not to say that I am stupid enough to think that with a chip enhancement it has no bearing at all to the fuel consumption, of course it does, but it also alters the other programmable variables to meet the new criterion, and can actually improve mileage as Akiyama says, ipso facto an all round good feeling to drive! If more of you find the emissions an issue after the swap I will go back to the ECU guy and get his thoughts on the switching issue, I have seen them done for the speed delimiters which are external, but also illegal here in Japan officially requiring the 'turn off' capacity.
    Cheers

Oz
    Last edited by ozsamurai; 20-05-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Did we ever get a final result on this? Was Spence's Beat emmissions just a one off case or are they all high now they have been chipped?

Any info guys?

Cheers
    Robin
    Last edited by Robin; 12-08-2004 at 09:57 AM.
    It's gone, it's all gone!!

chip me up!

hey i live in australia is there anywhere here where you would reccomend me getting my chip upgraded??? thanks

Daniel,

The chips come from me, who you get to install it is entirely up to your discretion, anyone with a bit of knowledge on PC work should be able to do it no problems, just don't expect Dick Smith's to handle it, lol

Oz

thanks

thanks for the reply i am very new to finding out all of the stuff that i can do to my beat. I was almost going to sell it after my cam cog broke and i found it very difficult to place parts in australia if you know of anyone that i can import at reasonable prices please let me know. ps. what capacitors do i need sorry forgot to ask before. thanks again dan

Dan all the parts usually come from me here in Japan, if you need stuff off the boards etc. just drop me a line, drop me some cash and its on the way to you....see the home page (mine) for details of ordering etc.

Cheers

Oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12