Thread: Fuel Relay Interchangeable

Fuel Relay Interchangeable

So my beat decided to quit on me in the middle of the intersection this morning

It was definitely the fuel relay, as I couldn't hear the "click" when i turn the key.

So, after browsing the web, I found this link:
    http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~uskpower/relay/relay.htm

Apparently there is an alternative relay is available, the RZ-0159

Knowing this, I went to the local junk yard and proceeded to look for this famed relay. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a single one. But I did find it's counterpart, the RZ-0132, which is quite common on early 90's civics and integras. I also found a 97 honda prelude relay, which was a rz-0088.

Both these relays look identical to the beat relay, aside from the numbers.

But I also found a larger relay from the honda accords, and late model civics (2000+) which were RZ-0158.

Taking a chance, I bought the whole collection in hopes that I could drive my beat out of the gas station where it was taking refuge for the day.

I proceeded to plug in the relays, and long behold, they ALL started the beat.
    I read that the earlier models (ie. 0132 and 0088) had the same problems as the beat relays. But the later ones were built much stronger to withstand the temperatures, and less failures were a result.

So i'm going to be sticking in my RZ-0158 relay and we'll see how it drives in the next week or so.

This is good news for those of you who can gain access to honda relays easily. The lady at the junkyard only had me pay for the newer model 0158's and threw in the older models for free.

I've attached a pic i found on the net of the 0158 relay.
    It's exactly the same
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19052009236.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1788  

good news bud that is good to hear

Always helpful to know of an improved upgrade :-) RZ 0158 it is then.
    Tom

Mine was reluctant to start today, having been running so I am on the relay hunt for a RZ 0158 now! :-)

That part numbered relay in the article 39400-S10-003 also fits these UK models.

Integra 3dr 98, 99 and 2000

CRV 98 - 2001

Civic 3dr & 4dr 98, 99 and 2000
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbly1 View Post
    Always helpful to know of an improved upgrade :-) RZ 0158 it is then.
    Tom
    I dont know whether you can say its an improved upgrade, You may just get the same result as fitting a nice new Beat part.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

The original ones seem to fail due to poor soldering, perhaps the newer one wont! I agree with you Steve but I feel less inclined to buy products that are known to fail and doing a Google, there seems to be plenty of evidence of that in this case - albeit circumstantial.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbly1 View Post
    The original ones seem to fail due to poor soldering.

Tom
    Thats because they are over 10+ years old. Hardly evidence that they have a design flaw.

I certainly would not bother getting a used one off a salvage car, and to buy a new one is the same cost as buying a Beat one.

I would also put a new fuel pump on a car the age of the Beat, as that by now will be drawing a lot more current than it did originally.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 26-07-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

keep in mind, it isn't as 'easy' to get a brand new beat relay here in canada as they don't seem to want to stock any beat parts