Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New owner with some engine smoking

On the subject of oil consumption, what is the difference between the upper and lower drilled hole on the dipstick? A pint or a litre or summat else?

Tom

Other Honda models are 1 litre between MIN and MAX, but not sure about Beat seeing it only has 2.7 litres capacity.

Some one with a car should be able to comment.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Cheers Steve, whatever it is, I will need to do valve stems, camshaft seals and rings this winter. As I also have the water pump, cambelt, tension pulleys and crank seal to do at the same time, I think it will be worthwhile to take the engine out and do it properly, I can clean it all up easier too.

Tom

Roughly half a litre I reckon. Topped ours up today so can give an estimate.

Round about a pint then? Just trying to work out oil consumption using imperial measures but any which way it looks a tad excessive!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbly1 View Post
    Round about a pint then? Just trying to work out oil consumption using imperial measures but any which way it looks a tad excessive!
    Seems to be the norm. I can put up with our 1 litre per 1000km. Hopefully it won't get any worse.

I make your consumption about 350 miles per pint which I would think is acceptable, my consumption is a good bit more than that I reckon which is why I am trying to measure it!
    A wee bit of oil consumption through wear is inevitable, especially in a high revving engine with nearly 60,000 miles on the clock. Imho it does no real harm but lost power past rings, higher crankcase pressure and contaminated gasses will adversely affect performance so it is better attended to, anyway I need a winter ploy.
    High oil consumption will also affect emission tests will it not - though I dont know if that will lead to MOT failure here in UK.

Just checked today used about 500ml for 210 miles so not too bad. Accurately filled now so the next reading should be more accurate but this is mainly short runs which I think will use more? There is no visible smoking that the driver can see.

Tom
    The Beat goes on ......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123