Thread: How to adjust a/c and alternator belt...

How to adjust a/c and alternator belt...

When I had the timing belt done on my Beat last year, I had the mechanic replace the belts as well for the a/c and distributor (i think those were the only ones)

Because they were new, they stretched I'm assuming, and now then squeal a little when they get warm at idle.

This also happened to my Honda Acty (same engine, E07A) when I put new belts on it. All I did to cure the problem was tighten the belts. It was fairly easy to do with access from the Passenger side wheel well of the Acty...

Now on the Beat, it seems like a much harder task! How do I get access to tighten the Belts? I removed the engine cover from behind the rear seats, but I can not see how I would get my hands down there to adjust the belts. Can I remove the fender well of the Beat, or is it designed to be done from below? I'm sure there must be some easier way...?

Thanks!

I`m afraid you have to adjust the belts from below. Thats the only way but no prob.
    You meet the nicest people in a HONDA!

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I`m afraid you have to adjust the belts from below. Thats the only way but no prob.
    Sounds good. I'm going to find a hoist to help me out...then I'm sure it will be a piece of cake!

Take care,

For the alternator belt there is a spring arrangement on the adjuster and you use that to put the correct tension on to the belt. The procedure is in the service manual and I think its quite self expanitory if you look.

Access is really from below but some can also be gained via the access panel in from the boot area for the other belt.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.