Thread: Sick Beat - what to check?

Sick Beat - what to check?

Hi All

Wonder if anyone can help. We have a Beat, all pretty much original with low mileage (30k kms). It potters around occasionally with a long run from Reading to Birmingham and back in the last month.

About a week ago my wife started it up, reversed out of the garage, went to pull off when it stalled. This does happen so she tried to start it up again but engine just turning over. Called breakdown recovery, who checked that the fuel was getting through and that there was a spark!! but still no start.

They took it to our local garage who after a little investigation decided that new spark plugs would help. We collected it the next day, it started and drove home fine. Later in the day went to start it but engine coughing and engine light came on. Sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders, after a few seconds (20-30) and coaxing with the throttle the engine picked up fine and drove around fine (we turned the engine off and back on to get rid of the engine light!)

over the next couple of day the starting became more difficult and each time misfiring for maybe 20-30 seconds. Wife took it out finally to go a errand and lost power whilst out, limping back home.

It has been sat the last couple of days in the garage but am reluctant to return it to the garage as they really dont know much (if anything) about the car. I can see a large bill looming just to investigate the problem.

If anyone might be able to point me (them) in the right direction it would be most appreciated. It might be worth pointing out here that I have no experience engines etc.. but am quite good at trying!!!!

Apologies for the long post. Many thanks. Chris

I'll start the ball rolling.
    The randomness of the fault would suggest either occasional fuel starvation or electrical break down. If the engine light goes off as it should it is unlikely to be anything else.
    Before more exotic and expensive faults are investigated, I would make sure that the fuel is not contaminated with either rust or water by rigging a small external fuel supply. With your self confessed lack of experience remember that fuel and spark are a highly dangerous combination. Maybe draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel might be a better idea.
    To check the ignition system properly take it to a garage with an oscilloscope diagnostic rig and a technician who knows how to use it. This test will reveal any occasional breakdowns in the distributor, HT leads and spark plugs. A maximum of one hour labour should be charged for this test.
    I hope that whatever it is it will be found quickly and relatively inexpensively. Good luck! and, when you find what it is, do not forget to let us know and add it to the treasure of Beat knowledge that this site is.

Missfire?? I would check distributor cap, especially the centre electrode in side.

Poor fueling - non start. I would check ECU for failed capacitor quite common to cause over fueling which can cause fouled plugs.

Fuel pump also could be a problem - check fuel pressure when sypmtoms occur.

These are a few ideas, quite difficult to diagnose with the info you have supplied.

May be worth carrying out an Engine Diagnostic check to see if there are any codes stored - info in the 'How to' section.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Many thanks for the responses. Will pass on your info to the garage when the car goes back in.

Will post back with the results - hopefully it wont be too complicated

you could try to see if the fuel pump relay is starting to go
    right next to the ECU

Hi All
    Well our Beat went to the garage whilst we went away on holiday. Whilst we came back feeling much better the Beat unfortunately came back unchanged. The garage we use are normally quite helpful but I think they shyed away from this one.

However I have been out in it since and, maybe its just me but I think it is getting better itself!! (wishful thinking maybe)

The long misfiring on startup has gone and the car is running at full power. the only leftover from the original problem is that it does still stutter for maybe a second from a cold start, which does make the the engine light come on. I have found that by letting it tickover for a couple of minutes to warm up then switching off and restarting the engine the light says off.

Am not sure whether to leave as is and run the car around a little more, maybe a run on the moterway for a junction or two or to get it back to the garage (a different one)

As a side note I did call our local Honda dealers to ask if they had ever worked on any Beats. They ummed and arred then said I might want to see if there was an enthusiasts forum on the internet!!! and at £90/hour I didn't really want them to "investigate".

Any more advice would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Chris