Thread: Alloy Wheels, More Questions

Alloy Wheels, More Questions

Hi

I'm looking at all the different threads on Alloys but I was wondering has anyone just run 14" or 15" all round and what effect this has on the car if any? I don't really know enough about the small front, large rear wheel set up, can someone enlighten me as to why it is this way.

What difference would it make to the car to go one size, would I need to have different tyre profiles front and rear to mimic the large / small factory set up or not?

I don't know, please help!

I'm running 14x6 +38 all around. The rears are basically flush. The front needed 5mm spacers to make it work.

Front tires are 165/55r14 Pirellis Dragons
    Rears are are 185/55r14 Falken Zeixes

IIRC, those put me within "close enough" range to fit the car. I recall reading on here that someone did put a square setup on the car. However, since the front was lifted due to the bigger tires, there were some unwanted aero effects and handling was slightly compromised as a result.

What do you mean by a square set up? I really don't understand the big small front and rear concept and its purpose? I know it's very common never looked into it. Maybe some homework for me.

all 4 wheels the same size..
    the concept for smaller fronts is that it looks better as the rear looks raised.
    i've never really liked Beats with same sized wheels.
    you could go 15"/14" if thats your thing but tyre sizes something like the original rear rolling radius may be hard to find?

something to have a play with....
    http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Nice one Old'uns, the link will be handy I'll have play shortly. I did some looking about and apparently the smaller fronts help with understeer usually found in rear wheel drive cars. don't know quite how true that is but could be one reason.

Huh. Usually you get oversteer with RWD, especially with mid engined setups like what the Beat has.

If you want to run a 15 in the rear, you're looking at 175/50r15. Of which, I can only find the NEXEN CP621.

In the front, you're looking for 165/45r15. Outside of east Asia, you're likely to be stuck with the Federal Formoza FD1 or some Nankangs. None of them will be barn burners, but at the same time, it's a Keijidousha we're dealing with here. It's not like our cars produce enough power to break things loose.

Yep you're right. 50/50 chance and I get it wrong! That's my brain for you.

I saw a post on here where some one was running 185 on the rear. Is this not possible then?

185 on the rear is fine. It's just that the 175/50 gets you a lot closer to the original diameter on a 15 inch wheel.

Ah ok, I was playing with Old'uns gadget link thing last night and settled on 185/45/15. I love to limit my tyre choices. And limited they are!!! You're right about nankangs those bad boys are looking like the beat shoes for me!! 😕

What wheels have you decided on, BTW?

I haven't yet I'm still looking I have all of the different tyre options now I just need to look at wheel options. size wise I would like to go with 14x5.5 and 15x6. all the information is being stored and will be chipped away as I go along. right now I'm in the process of welding plates into my bonnet ready to fill and sand. breaks need an overhaul too then, next is wrapping!! that'll be fun? interior, dash covering, new stereo / speakers, maybe look at new carpets (need to do some research on the best way), S2000 seats (might even buy a heated seat kit) then once all that is done, wheels. the ones I have are ok but I like the Idea of bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynxface View Post
    I haven't yet I'm still looking I have all of the different tyre options now I just need to look at wheel options. size wise I would like to go with 14x5.5 and 15x6. all the information is being stored and will be chipped away as I go along. right now I'm in the process of welding plates into my bonnet ready to fill and sand. breaks need an overhaul too then, next is wrapping!! that'll be fun? interior, dash covering, new stereo / speakers, maybe look at new carpets (need to do some research on the best way), S2000 seats (might even buy a heated seat kit) then once all that is done, wheels. the ones I have are ok but I like the Idea of bigger.

I have a set available in 14/15.

How much do you want for them? And what's the shipping on those going to run at. As that and the cost may be way too high. PM me please.