Thread: 9000 rpm!!! Did it do any damage?

9000 rpm!!! Did it do any damage?

I was driving my beat today...and showing a friend just how great of a engine it has...

Well, I was turning a corner and giving full throttle in 1st gear, and I waited a little bit to long to shift (I could not see the tach because the steering wheel spoke was in the way). By the time I was around the corner, I went to shift into 2nd and I was near 9000rpm!!! It did not hit any sort of limiter. Does it even have a redline/fuel cut-off? If so, I've never hit it.

It ran just fine after and did not sound strained at the high RPM, but I feel very bad for rev'ing it so high! I typically shift at 8000rpm max.

Any chance I did any damage?

Like I said, it runs just fine still, but do I have to worry about stretched retainers or anything? I hope my little Beat will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Does it even have a redline/fuel cut-off? If so, I've never hit it.
    If you have a standard ECU then yes it has a rev limiter.

Try is some time in say 2nd or 3rd gear, you will soon feel it.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    If you have a standard ECU then yes it has a rev limiter.
    Thanks Steve!

Is there any other way to find if I have a standard ECU other than trying to test out the rev-limiter in 2nd or 3rd? If it does not have a standard ECU, I don't want to find out the hard way by over rev'ing it

Where is the limiter set at? Most cars have a redline and the a fuel cut-off. The fuel cut-off is usually a few hundred rpm higher than that redline. Is this the case with the beat as well?

Do you think I did any damage at 9000rpm for that brief moment? That's what I'm really worried about!

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Do you think I did any damage at 9000rpm for that brief moment? That's what I'm really worried about!
    No, you probably did it some good and cleared a few cobwebs out.

Any way I expect the rev counter is a fair few RPM out anyway.

Just dont do like I did and when at the rev limiter in 3rd gear, instead of changing to 4th gear, I managed to select 2nd gear. Approx revs managed about 12,500RPM+ and bent all the exhaust valves. It still run but was a bit lumpy and a bit rattley.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

No, you probably did it some good and cleared a few cobwebs out.
    I guess it could be called an Italian Tune-up, So I take it that its nothing to worry about. Thanks for the peace of mind. I'm defiantly not going to do that again, but now I can sleep again at night!

Just don't do like I did and when at the rev limiter in 3rd gear, instead of changing to 4th gear, I managed to select 2nd gear.
    Ah, the good'ol mis shift. I've always worried myself about doing that. Unfortunately, this is one thing the rev limiter can't stop!

I can't believe it still ran after that! That is a testament to these motors I guess! I'm betting that you did a complete valve job after that one.

Take care, and thank you!

Don`t worry about the 9000 revs. I`ve got still the standart ECU mounted. It cut the ignition at 10.000 Rpm. So 9000 is nothing for an helthy and warm driven Beat Engine.
    You meet the nicest people in a HONDA!

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I`ve got still the standart ECU mounted. It cut the ignition at 10.000 Rpm.
    Are you serious?!?! Wow! Have you taken your Beat up to these RPM before?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    So 9000 is nothing for an helthy and warm driven Beat Engine.
    On a plus side, the engine was well warm driven before it saw the 9000rpm...thank you for the comforting words!

Take care,

Lol it's a Honda, you're only ment to shift up when you're bouncing of the rev-limiter!

Quote Originally Posted by hothybrids View Post
    Lol it's a Honda, you're only ment to shift up when you're bouncing of the rev-limiter!
    wise words
    drive it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by hothybrids View Post
    Hear hear! In Guernsey Autocross (banger racing on the beach) a lot of the leading drivers use early 90s Preludes and CRXs and will be on the limit for most of the race.